1. Take as many pictures as possible. This (hopefully!) is only going to happen once in your life. That means you should snap as many pictures as possible in order to capture the moment. You’re going to want to use these photos to announce your engagement on social media, to include on the Save The Dates you send out in the mail, and to hang around your house for years to come. Don’t be shy about taking pictures. This is day. Fill up your phone data!
2. Get all the juicy details. You had no idea your person was going to propose, but they probably had the question planned out for a while. Now that the proposal happened, it’s time to drill them on the steps leading up to it. When did they know they were going to propose? Why did they pick day? Who else knew it was going to happen? When did they buy the ring? How much trouble did they have picking the ring? There’s a lot you don’t know and it will be fun finding out!
3. Visit your closest family and friends. Or at least send them a text or a quick video over Snapchat. Make sure they hear about the news from directly, not from your social media along with random kids from high school you haven’t seen in a decade. Posting about your big news on Instagram and changing your status on Facebook can wait (at least a few hours). Make sure your loved ones are in the loop.
4. Get your ring sized. If your ring doesn’t sit well on your finger, make sure you visit a jeweler in order to get it sized correctly. You don’t want it too loose because it might fall off your finger and roll down the drain. You don’t want it tight enough to cut off your circulation either because you’re going to be wearing this . It might cost a little bit of money to fix, but it will be worth it. You deserve to be comfortable in your new bling.
5. Start thinking about venues. It’s going to annoy the hell out of you when people ask for wedding details on the same day you got engaged — but if you want your wedding within the next year, you need to get moving. Some venues need to be booked a ahead of time. It’s the same with certain photographers and videographers. You don’t want to stress yourself out right away. You should give yourself a chance to relax and enjoy your engagement. But you should recognize how intense the wedding industry is. You don’t want to leave anything until the last minute.
6. Remind your person how much you love them. They probably just gave you a big speech about how much they love you — and now it’s time for you to return the favor. Let them know the ring isn’t the only thing you care about. You love . You love everything about them.
7. Head to the bedroom. This is one of the most romantic moments of your life. You need to celebrate somehow!